Monday, February 28, 2011

A Farewell to Wheat

Out of the blue, I learned I have an allergy to gluten...sure, there are worse things a doctor could tell you, but man this news hit me hard.  Now I'm no meat and no wheat, no one will ever have me over for dinner again..

In an effort to pick up the pieces and move on I bought some gluten-free flour and apples and decided to bake a pie.  At first everything seemed like it would be ok..I made the crust, wrapped it in plastic wrap and refrigerated it, but when I tried rolling it out it kept crumbling on me.  

Finally, I somehow forced the bottom crust into my 9'' pan and filled the shell with the apples (coated with sugar, cinnamon, lemon and dallups of unsalted butter)

The top was even more of a challenge, but after some serious tinkering I thought it looked pretty presentable.  As I brushed on my egg wash I felt hopeful my first gluten-free pie experiment would be a success.

Till it came out of the oven.

Looks like there's been a drought doesn't it?

It was impossible to get a decent slice, as soon as my knife hit the crust the entire pie collapsed.  The good news is it tasted OK.  I've only begun my crusade as gluten-free baker..

2 comments:

  1. Lots of resources out there to help you Evans, my sister is celiac/GF and my Mom has used this site a lot: http://glutenfreegirl.com. Hope you and John are well! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justin! I've already checked out glutenfreegirl, she gave me hope! It's amazing how many people have this horrible sad condition..

    ReplyDelete