Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Who's Cooler Than..

Eero Saarinen, one of the leading figures in American 
Mid-Century modern architecture and furniture design, long
time Charles and Ray Eames collaberator and
my personal hero.

 Aline Saarinen Collection, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution C:1958
 Shown above sitting on one of his own creations..  

The iconic Tulip Chair .

Image from: Eero Saarinen, An Architecture of Multiplicity
And here (the spitting image of my grandfather) 
 Saarinen relaxes on his other classic, the Womb Chair.

I've never sat in one, but they look so very comfortable.

 
TWA Terminal, Idlewild (now Kennedy) Airport 1962. [Ezra Stoller © ESTO]
My favorite of all his projects, the TWA Terminal in New York, was 
recently renovated and now supposedly serves as an entrance to JFK's
 JetBlue Terminal, though I've yet to figure out how to get inside..

Open to the public just last spring, Saarinen's Miller House 
in Columbus Indiana, epitomizes Mid-Century residential 
design.  Love the sunken sitting area and multi purpose 
storage on the back wall. 

And of course the St. Louis Acrh. 

On all of my cross country adventures I never passed through 
St. Louis.  Someday I'd love to take the elevator to the top.

And most importantly, here in my own home town 
Eero Saarinen's Klienhans Music Hall.  Yeah Buffalo.

Light up boys, you've earned it! 
 Saarinen shown here with Charles Eames (right)
Such a great shot, from a great blog..


2 comments:

  1. New Haven is teeming with Saarinen architecture. Think about it. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crem! We are planing a trip..i think. Need to see the glass house too, soo much in your area.

    ReplyDelete